Norwood Professional Center
4746 Montgomery Road
Cincinnati, Ohio 45212
Gail L. Bongiovanni, M.D.
Areas of Expertise - Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Gastroesophogeal Reflux Disease, Colon Cancer and Colon Polyps, all other areas of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- Undergraduate: Smith College, Northampton MA, cum laude, 1972
- Medical School: Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 1977
- Internship: Internal Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 1977-1978
- Residency: Internal Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, 1978-1980
- Fellowship: Gastroenterology/Hepatology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York City, NY, 1980-1982
- Board Certified in Internal Medicine
- Board Certified in Gastroenterology
- Digestive Disease Diagnostic and Treatment Center University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, 1982-1988
- Private Practice – President, Digestive Health Network/Cincinnati Gastroenterology (CGI)
- Board of Directors, Norwood Endoscopy Center
- PI Chairman, University Endoscopy Center
- Distinguished Leader Award – Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America, 2000
- “Top Doc of Cincinnati”
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Phi Beta Kappa
Primary Hospital Affiliations:
- The Christ Hospital, Cincinnati, OH
- The Jewish/Mercy Hospital, Cincinnati, OH
- Bethesda North Hospital
- Clermont Mercy Hospital
- Mercy Anderson Hospital
- Children Hospital
- American Gastroentrologic Association
- American College of Gastroenterology
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation
- Cincinnati Academy of Medicine
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Medical Spanish, 4th Edition, McGaw-Hill, New York, New York
- Manual of Clinical Gastroenterology, McGraw-Hill, New York, New York
- Tall AR, Forester LR, and Bongiovanni GL: Facilitation of phosphatidylocholine transfer into high density lipoproteins by an apolipoprotein in the density 1.20-1.26 g/ml fraction of plasma. J Lipid Res 24:277-289, 1983.
- Bongiovanni GL and Giannella RA: Newer causes of infectious diarrhea. Diagnosis 5:117-121, 1983.
- Medenhall C, Bongiovanni GL, Goldberg SJ, Miller B, Moore J, Rouster S, Schneider D, Tamburro C, Tosch T, Weesner R, and VA cooperative Study Group on Alcoholic Hepatitis: VA Cooperative Study on alcoholic hepatitis III. Changes in protein-calorie malnutrition associated with 30 days of hospitalization with and without enteral nutritional therapy. J Patient Nutr 9:590-596, 1985.
- Silvis SE and 53 other investigators: Final report on the United States multicenter trial comparing Ranitifine to Cimetidine as maintenance therapy following healing of duodenal ulcer. J Clin Gastroen 7:482-487, 1985
- Popp MB, Hawley D, Reising J, Bongiovanni G, Weesner R, Moomaw CJ, Martelo OJ, and Aron B: Improved survival in squamous esophageal carcinoma: preoperative chemotherapy and radiation. Arch Surg 121:1330-1335, 1986.
- Fitzgerald O, Bongiovanni G, Merhar G, Ulloa-Fernandez EV, Hess EV, and Spencer-Green G: Esophageal motility studies in-patients with Raynaud’s phenomenon. J. Rheumatol 14:273-277, 1987
- Barnes LM, Clark ML, Estes SA and Bongiovanni GL: Pemphigus vulgaris involving the esophagus. A case report and review of the literature. Dig dis Sci 32:655-669, 1987
- Bongiovanni GL (ed) ESSENTIALS OF CLINICAL GASTROENTEROLOGY 2nd Ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1988
Dr. Bongiovanni is fluent in Spanish and loves international adventure travel. She and her husband, Everett Nissly, have climbed Mount Kilimanjaro, gone dog sledding in the Arctic, white water rafting in Alaska, mountain climbing and camping in Antarctica, and mountain climbing in Peru, Ecuador and Tibet. She is an avid runner and has participated in the Washington D.C. Marathon and the San Diego Marathon. She was also one of the relay members for the CGI Flying Pig Relay team. When she is not running or climbing, she loves to bike and she has biked extensively in China. Cooking is her passion.